Friday, October 13, 2006

Nancy Kerrigan (& me)

As a judge I must admit that I also have my favorite skaters out there but I always judge honestly. I never went in favor for a skater that I like or wen't against a skater I don't like. U.S. skater Nancy Kerrigan always has been one of my favorite skaters. Can you imagine how thrilled I was when I had to judge her at the "Piruetten 1993" in Hamar, Norway. This competition was my third International one and was the biggest event I had to judge to that date. This competition was known as "the pre-Olympics" for the Olympics of 1994 in Lillehammar and Mrs. Britta Lindgren was my Referee. I remember when I saw Nancy for the first time in real life I did not recognize her. She's much smaller in real life than on TV. On top of that...during the practice she had her hair hang loose while during competition it always was pulled back. After about 10 minutes into that first training session I finally had recognized her! LOL She came out on the ice as starting #1 for the short program. She missed her jump combination but that didn't hold her from the first place after the Short program! In fact the day after she also won the Free program awarding her the Gold medal. This also gave her more confidence to get to the gold at the Olympics. Unfortunately she didn't get that one.... although she should have! Here's Nancy's Short program from "Piruetten 1993"! Keep watching until 5.02 minutes cause you will get to see a "WORLD FAMOUS JUDGE!" (with a lot more hair....) LOL----------I was judge #7 at that competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btInX284Umg

.