Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"I was swept away"

.
1985 was a special year for me. it started with me doing nothing except modeling. Half way through the year I started to study for my diploma to become a driving school instructor. That was from September through to December that the lessons took place and afterwards the exams would follow... It was hard cause I was a drop out at school and hadn't read a book for almost 6 years and now it was back to learning. The beginning was tough but I made a commitment with myself that I was going to succeed. The only way to do that was by allowing myself nothing only studying, studying, studying... When I started it all looked ok but then suddenly I saw this ad in the papers saying that Diana Ross was coming to Belgium in October I wanted to be there! The last time she performed here I had to choose between Diana Ross and going to Florida (see an earlier post), so this time I wasn't gonna miss her performance! Of course my parents always told me to put your priorities ahead of pleasure and going to any kind of concert was just that... pleasure! It was a dilemma but if I studied a little harder I could skip one day and go see the concert. I asked a friend of mine (Chantal Populair) who also liked Diana a lot to join me. When the day of Diana's concert arrived I was very nervous! I was going to see my IDOL for the very first time in real life. I couldn't believe it. She began 15 minutes late and before I knew it it was over but she performed for about 2hours.I remember that the show began with her band playing a medley of all her greatest hits and than suddenly the lights turn on and there she came running up on stage to the music of "Swept away". From than on I was mesmerized and had tears in my eyes all the time! It was a very emotional experience for me! During "Reach out and touch" she came into the audience and passed us only a few feet away from where we were sitting. Still it was too far to get a closer look but she saw me and just waved! I thought I was going to die! LOL Anyway, it was a great concert and a wonderful experience for me. The moment she waved at me I promised myself that the next time she ever would perform again here in Belgium I would be sitting on the front row!

Here's a small clip I found from Diana's opening in Italy during the same tour!
Enjoy:


.