Friday, November 03, 2006

Belgians pride

.
Kevin & me at Worlds
Washington 2003
Kevin Van der Perren is Belgians pride when it comes to figure skating! We never had someone this good! On top of that he's very friendly and fun to hang out with! This is always an advantage as a judge when you travel to competitions knowing that on the long flights you will have a good time! I just got back from Skate America last Tuesday where I was with Kevin and his coach Vera Vandecaveye who also was my coach not so long ago......lol.
I remember judging Kevin as a child here in Belgium. That were the days that he still was struggling with his double jumps. Later when he changed coaches and went to Linda Van Troyen he made it big! Linda and I skated together in Antwerp (Deurne). When Kevin participated in the junior Grand Prix in Nagano Japan 1999 Linda and I had a great time! At the airport we said to ourselves... if somebody would have told us back in day that the two of us would have Sushi at Narita Airport one day, we would have laughed thinking that this person had gone crazy... and here we were eating Sushi at Narita. In a couple of weeks Kevin, Vera and I will leave for Japan again but this time for the Senior Grand Prix in Nagano, NHK that is! Oh yeah.... at the Junior Grand Prix Kevin had problems with his double Axel in practice. After I gave him a tip he landed the jump without any problems in his program. The same happened at Skate America last week but this time the jump was Triple Axel... If you want to know if he landed that jump...

Click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37wzT3MzWUc

If you want to visit Kevin's fansite click here:
http://www.kevinvanderperren.net/
.